Saturday, April 2, 2011

Throwback Joint Of The Day: Paperboy - Ditty

I'm 25 years old. The golden years of hip hop for me were the early-mid 90's. More specifically, about '93-'96. Those were the most influential years of music listening for me, and they helped shape the musical taste I am proud to have today. When I was 6 or 7 years old, my parents gave me and my older brother a karaoke machine. It had twin tape decks, an am/fm radio, and a microphone input so we could sing along to our favorite songs. I would literally come home from school every day, and spend hours upon hours sitting in front of that karaoke machine, playing Mario Bros. 2, with a shoe box full of blank Maxells and TDKs, taping all of my favorite new songs off the radio. And that summer, when my older cousin, Kim, came to visit, I raided her music collection. Dubbing everything from All-4-One and Jodeci, to Tone Loc and Paperboy.

This was hands down the dopest song I'd ever heard at that point. We would play this song in the car every time we went anywhere. The album as a whole didnt really hold up, but when I started putting together my first compilation tapes, this was always within the first 3 songs to start.

Ladies and Gentlemen... I bring you... My childhood...

Paperboy - Ditty.mp3

No comments:

Post a Comment