Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Throwback Of The Day: Lucas With The Lid Off

Im not gonna front like I was up on Lucas when he dropped this album is 1994. Cause I dont think anyone was up on Lucas when this album dropped. But when I was in 8th grade (1999ish), I discovered that there was a little used record shop in my town, and my friends and I would go down there from time to time to shop the used cd's (cause we didnt have turntables). On occasion we would briefly chat with the store manager, but really what does a 13 year old kid have to talk about with a grown ass man with a zz top beard? But I digress, So one day he was cleaning some stuff out, and he came across 2 boxes of old hip hop music videos on VHS. Im talking, probably 45-50 tapes, each with 1, MAYBE 2, videos on it. I can only assume they were shopped around to record stores to promote new music years earlier. So this guy, knowing that my friends and I were into hip hop, gave us these music videos. We spent that weekend playing video after video after video, writing down all the best songs we came across. That weekend was my introduction to Ill Al Skratch, Big Daddy Kane, Dana Dane and many more. But this particular song stood out to me. I love jazz music, and this joint had such a dope big band sample. I remember letting my friends take some of the videos home with them, but I always hung on to this one. It was Lucas's song Lucas With The Lid Off.

I was just gonna post the song, but it just wouldnt feel right. So I have to introduce you all to the song, the same way I was introduced...



DOWNLOAD: Lucas - Lucas With The Lid Off - TheMilkCrate.mp3

Previous Throwback: Paperboy - Ditty

No comments:

Post a Comment