Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Fathers Children - Who's Gonna Save the World (1979 Soul)




Hailing from the Adams-Morgan neighborhood, in 1973 Nick Smith, Billy Sumler, and Ted “Skeet” Carpenter created a lost document of gritty soul, concerned with its own time and place, stripped of the L.A. gloss that permeated the the group’s own 1979 “debut” for Mercury. Unreleased until now, this true freshman offering is an amalgam of sunny vocal group harmonies, fuzz-guitar solos, shimmering keys, bubbling percussion, spiritual prophecy, and dub experiments. Who’s Gonna Save The World gets the full Numero treatment, with extensive notes and scores of unpublished photos. Deluxe LP edition includes the bonus 45, “Linda Movement” b/w “Intellect” (the latter side not on the the CD).


What can I say? I'm a stickler for these type of soul albums. Whether it be the new age soul releases like Saadiq's "The Way I See it", Lee Fields' - "My World, or unreleased and remastered workings like Jean Plums Self titled unreleased debut. This time around is Father's Children 'Who's Gonna Save The World. I'm blown away by this. Not too sure what it is about these type of projects...maybe it's the nostalgia, maybe it's the fact that I'm an actual crate digger that is too young to discover unheard workings....whatever it is...I'm always like a kid in a candy store when "new" shit like this comes out. Anyways...I won't leak the project...but I will say it is well worth the $18.00 (CD) / $20.00 (LP) / $10.00 (MP3).

Download: Fathers Children - Linda



Be sure to pick it up. Numerogroup

2 comments:

  1. Yeah this sounds hot to me-I got to get a copy as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah this sounds hot to me-I got to get a copy as well!

    ReplyDelete