Friday, May 20, 2011

Milk Crate's Top 10 Albums: Kannon #4


In 2002, I was introduced to an emcee by the name of Aceyalone, through the album, A Book A Human Language. This album was amazing. Soon after, I was introduced to his group, Freestyle Fellowship, through the album, Innercity Griots. Equally amazing. Immediately, I took to the jazzy sounds of Fellowship member Mikah 9, through his solo album, Timetable. Soon after that, I was introduced to a close affiliate of the Fellowship by the name of Abstract Rude, through the album, P.A.I.N.T. This album, was also an amazing album. At this time... I heard about an album... An album that would combine the styles of my favorite emcees among this bunch of people whom I'd recently discovered... This album was, and still is...

04. Haiku D'Etat - Haiku D'Etat


When compiling this list, I was very tempted to add most of the albums that I listed above. But when it really came down to it, from front to back, my personal favorite album to ever come out of the Project Blowed camp is the 2000 release, Haiku D'Etat. It's a "super group" (if you will), comprised of Aceyalone, Abstract Rude and Mikah 9. Each have different styles, but they mesh together so well. Ace brings the poetic lyricism, Ab Rude brings a soulful melody, and Mike brings the jazzy throwback sound... The three styles, all rooted in hip hop, blend together beautifully to produce an incredible sound...


Haiku D'Etat - Non Compos Mentis

I've always been a big fan of jazz music, and the production in this album was top notch jazzy hip hop. Ab Rude and Mikah's soulful melodies laced over the beats are amazing. I feel like Ive said "amazing" a lot... But i'm ok with that...


Haiku D'Etat - Still Rappin'

Equally impressive on this album, is the raw lyricism by Ace1. Unlike Wish Bone, Ace knows that he's not a great singer, so he doesn't sing. The song "Firecracker" always stuck out as one of my favorites. The hook was so simple, yet so catchy. And Acey's "Yeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaas" in infectious.


Haiku D'Etat - Firecracker

If I havent talked about the diverse styles on this album enough, they also do great things with other genres that I havent mentioned yet. Like Reggae. Like this song. Which is reggaeish. Dont argue it. Just love it.


Haiku D'Etat - Los Dangerous

This album is great because I like the rapping on it. Also, the beats are great. Thats basically what it comes down to. Its a great album, and it's pretty much better than most of the other music that exists. And thats not debatable.


Haiku D'Etat - Wants vs. Needs

High Point: Non Compos Mentis. I dig it. Also, possibly Pro Tools Robots. It's all about sex, through recording equipment metaphors.
Low Point: The hook on Studio, Streets, Stage. It's just annoying after a while.

PREVIOUS: 05 | 06 | 07 | 08 | 09 | 10

No comments:

Post a Comment