Monday, May 16, 2011

Milk Crate's Top 10 Albums: That Bullet Proof Saint #5



by That Bullet Proof Saint

The day before my number five album was released (October 2000), I was up late at night and happened to catch a press kit video on a local hip hop show on my public access channel. The video grabbed my attention immediately and had me ditching school after lunch to go pick the album up.






#5 Reflection Eternal - Train of Thought



About a year before this album came out I had picked up the Blackstar album and loved it. I had no clue this was coming out and happened to catch that press kit video the night before. Like I mentioned in my previous pick, around this time I was hooked on No Limit Records and West Coast Gangster music. Within that hour long bus ride that it took for me to get home from purchasing this album I had already been mesmerized by what it was I was hearing. The soul that Hi Tek breathed into each beat on this album was like nothing I had heard before. For me it was likened to how back in 1992 when Dre dropped The Chronic and blew every producer out of the water. No one knew how Dre had produced something so intricate and clean. Hi Tek's layering on his samples and bass lines was so far ahead of its time that I feel confident in making that claim. I got to be honest here, I'm far from a Kweli fan NOW. He's pretty damn hit and miss with me. But sometimes two people can be in their prime and same mind state at the exact same time. Kweli complimented every song with out overpowering or taking away from anything. As I'm sure you can see by now, the beats is what grabbed my attention. This is the album that made me want to start making beats. This is the album that had me going over to my grandmothers house and listening to her record collection intently. I know this record from front to back. It's a corner stone for what my musical taste is today.


Favorite Songs











Purchase


Previous: 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10

No comments:

Post a Comment