Thursday, May 19, 2011

Milk Crate's Top 10 Albums: That Bullet Proof Saint #4




by That Bullet Proof Saint


#4 Dred Scott - Breakin' Combs (1994)



Back in 94, the older brother of a friend of mine dubbed me a mixtape. This was 94 suckas...he dubbed me a real mixtape. It was probably under an hour long and if I recall had pretty much all West Coast acts on it, except for LL's "Momma said Knock you Out". I remember rewinding the opening song over and over again. It was a sound I wasn't familiar with (I was only 9-10), especially since I wouldn't really discover Tribe and De La for another 5 years. "Back in the Day" was that opening song. The jazz sample with the west coast swing captivated me.



I ended up stealing the cassette from target or some store. The feeling I got listening to this album for me was one of awe and excitement. I was only about 9 or 10 years old...but I remember sitting in my room after school and intently listening to every musical note and lyric trying to decipher everything that was going happening on this record. The way Dred's style switched effortlessly throughout his debut album from almost a rapid fire Das Efx to a laid back Q Tip flow was something to marvel at. There's not much known about Dred. I know he was originally from New York before his Preforming parents (actor/dancers) moved him to the Los Angels area. It's almost as if he dropped a underrated classic and then just disappeared. 17 years later after this album dropped, I still get the same feeling when listening to this album. I still play this record pretty often. Which for me and my ADD, is saying something. It's a pretty unheard of album, which obviously to me is a DAMN SHAME. Every now and again I'll force it on someone, it's always cool to see someone listen to it for the first time, 17 years out of context....and yet still love it. Its an amazing feat that goes to show the true test of a classic. This album is just that. A damn Classic.

Favorite Songs








Download




Previous: 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10

No comments:

Post a Comment