Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Milk Crate's Top 10 Albums: Kannon #7

Milk Crate. Top 10. Hip Hop. All Time. Number 7. Lets Get Into It...

07. Blu & Exile - Below The Heavens

In 2007, I stumbled upon this album while looking through a random music blog. At the time, I had no idea who this "Blu" character was. But I was familiar with Exile from his work with Aloe Blacc in the group Emanon. On top of the fact that Exile is an incredible producer, there was something about the album cover, and the full title (...in hell happy with your new imaginary friends...) that was intriguing to me. So, I downloaded the album. It was probably a week or two before I even got around to listening to it, but from the first time I played it, I was absolutely hooked...


Blu & Exile - Blu Collar Workers

I'd always been a fan of Exile's work, but this was easily his best work to me. The samples were all flipped smoothly, the melodies were captivating, and yet each song was distinctly different. And Blu's rhymes were so unrelentingly fresh. His honesty was unapologetic, and stated so bluntly. Blu spoke about sharing drinks at the bar with his DJ, because he was low on funds. All while trying to pick up a lady who wants someone who "keeps it real," but all he's giving her is truth. Sometimes the real isn't luxurious. And the way Blu strung these ideas and thoughts together was so impressive, I simply couldnt stop listening...


Blu & Exile ft. Miguel Jontel - First Things First

This was the first album in a long time to really restore my faith in music. As corny as that sounds, it's true. And that's why I couldnt deny it a spot on my list. I know this album is only 4 years old at this point in time, and thats probably the ONLY reason it's not higher on my list. There hasnt been enough time for it to prove it's longevity. But I cant see myself ever getting tired of this album...


Blu & Exile - Dancing In The Rain

Blu's way with words was also something that I couldnt ignore. He had a way of expressing everything so matter of factly, as if to be claiming his shortcomings and blessings as equally important parts of himself. He embraced everything about who he was as a simple fact. It's not every day you hear a rapper talking about losing his virginity while his pops was cheating on his momma in the other room...


Blu & Exile - In Remembrance Of Me

Picking my favorite tracks from this album was next to impossible. I really wanted to post every single track from the album. In time, I honestly seeing this album being top 3. And I probably should already have it higher on my list... But anyways... When I first heard this album, I was working as a manager at a Borders. And the first thing I did after hearing the album, I ordered a ton into the store, bought one for myself, and hand sold all the rest to any and everyone who would listen...


Blu & Exile ft. Miguel Jontel - Cold Hearted

High Point: "Dancing In The Rain." It's definitely my favorite song on the album, and easily top 5 of all time...
Low Point: "You Are Now In The Clouds With..." Its basically the outro track, and its all instrumental. And its still got a lot of dope elements. But it didnt have Blu rapping on it. Which is the only reason it was the low point... Cause even that song is cool...

PREVIOUS: 08 | 09 | 10

No comments:

Post a Comment