Saturday, May 14, 2011

Milk Crate's Top 10 Albums: Kannon #6


I feel like the next group is pretty indisputable when it comes to their impact in hip hop. But what is widely disputed, is which album was truly their best work. And it usually comes down to two albums fighting for the top spot in their discography... From what I've heard, most people usually go for the other one... But for me, It's gotta be...

06. Outkast - ATLiens


"ATLiens" was the first song I ever heard by Outkast. And while I never seemed to remember who they were, I always remembered the line, "cooler than a polar bears toenails." That was hilarious to me, as a 10 year old. However, I didnt really remember the name Outkast until their next album came around, and "Rose Parks" blew up. Soon after that album came out, I went on a camping trip with a group of kids from my church, and one of my brother's friends had both albums. He knew I really liked hip hop, and he was telling me that this was his new favorite group. When I asked him which album was better, he told me ATLiens...


Outkast - ATLiens

I'm not sure if I became partial to that album because he liked it more, or just because it was then the first Outkast album I went out and got. But I was absolutely obsessed with this album when I heard it. Their southern style was something that I was completely unfamiliar with, and it was so fresh. Admittedly, I was a pretty big Dungeon Fam fanboy in middle and high school, buying albums by Backbone, Slim "Cutta" Calhoun, Sleepy Brown, and more... Anything Dungeon Fam did, I had to have and it all started with this album...


Outkast - Elevators (Me & You)

"Elevators" was the first single they put out from the album, and although it wasnt my favorite song when I first heard it, it grew on me. A lot, actually. To the point where it's one of my favorite songs on the album today. But the song that I fell in love with off the bat, was definitely "Wheelz Of Steel."


Outkast - Wheelz Of Steel

I also have debated that "Two Dope Boyz" is one of the best first-songs-on-an-album ever. I backed up that song, as well as the first song from my #1 album (which we'll talk about later)... Also, their producers, Organized Noize, put together some of the freshest beats I'd ever heard, and this one was no exception...


Outkast - Two Dope Boyz

I'm still not sure if I really like this album over Aquemini. But in my head, I think I do. Both albums are incredible, but I think I've just convinced myself so many times that I like this one more, that it's stuck in my brain that way... Either way, ATLiens is still an incredible album from front to back, has some of the most innovative sounds for their time, and Andre and Big Boi are lyrically at the top of their game. Not much else to say... This album is a classic...


Outkast - Jazzy Belle

High Point: I still love "Wheelz Of Steel," but I think "ATLiens" is my favorite song. I know all the words, and cant help but get hype and sing along when I hear it...
Low Point: "Elevators Remix" Only because I like the original version more...

PREVIOUS: 07 | 08 | 09 | 10

No comments:

Post a Comment