Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Milk Crate's Top 10 Albums: That Bullet Proof Saint #9




By That Bullet Proof Saint


I was fortunate enough to be raised in the 805. 99.73% of you probably have no clue what the fuck that means. But what if I mention Lootpack, Madlib, Wildchild, Kankick, MED, and Declaime? I would hope the heads reading this would know a few, if not all of these cats. The 805, and more specifically THE OX (Oxnard) is a small coastal city and hour South of LA, that in the mid 90's started carving a niche for themselves. This selection isn't an OX City piece....That'll come later....But this selection is an album that came out later on after Madlib had already laid the foundation for the stonesthrow sound. Which to me is a testament in itself, because most Stones Throw heads and Madlib enthusiast would praise 20 other albums before even mentioning this album. I feel it's an incredibly overlooked and under appreciated album, that never got it's chance to shine. With that said, I bring you my #9 Favorite Album of All Time...








#9 OHNO - The Disrupt



Yes, Madlibs little brother....Lets get that out the fucking way. Oh No never wowed anyone with the pen, But his ability to control the beat and craft and enjoyable song on his Debut were something lacking in the underground at the time of it's release. This came out in 2004, a time that was saturated with; 'lyrical miracle' emcees. This release brought everything back to the basics. A charismatic emcee to compliment Captivating, chop heavy, beats that knock. What else can you ask for? Oh yea, besides production from OhNo, Madlib, Kankick, & Dilla also blessed it. I can remember driving around with this CD on for damn near close to 5 months without taking it out. Every time I had a favorite, go to song, by the next time the album spun around I'd have a new track to vibe out to.

Favorite Songs






Purchase

No comments:

Post a Comment